Another attempt to make some kind of sense of what's going on east of the Dniester. Ukraine, Russia and Kazakhstan come in for special attention.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Вас вітає мій блог! Добро пожаловать в мой блог! Welcome to my blog!

Hi,

I hope you find something here to engage you. I have no doubt that some things will enrage you. If they do, write in (just don't bother with profanity, as your comment will be subjected to concentrated neutron rays and exploded.)

I've been living and working in Kiev for nearly 3 years now, taking a great interest in the events we've all been witnesses to in that time. I lived for 7 years in Central Asia and did research in Russia, so the states of the former USSR are clearly a matter of intense interest for me. I'm a Canadian from the lovely city of Montreal (found in the equally lovely province of Quebec,) but speak Russian quite fluently. Obviously, I speak and read French and am pretty handy with Ukrainian. With that in mind, comments are welcome in English, French, Russian, Ukrainian, Kazakh (my daughter will translate them for me) or German.

I held out a long time before putting a blog up, but have become increasingly frustrated by the quality of reporting found in most media outlets on this region. I have no illusions of being able to change that quality, but -- at the very least -- I'll be able to get that frustration off my chest and rail against instances of what I see as clear bias or willful ignorance. Again, if you'd like to ream me for similar instances -- write in, but keep it clean.

3 comments:

Agnes said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Blair!

jams o donnell said...

I just wanted to add to redwine's sentimetns and say welcome to the blogosphere myself.

Blair Sheridan said...

Thanks to the both of you!

Fisherman"s Blues

Fisherman"s Blues
Ice-Fishing near Astana (when it was still Akmola)